Grilled Harissa Chicken with a Lemon Tahini Sauce (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
This Moroccan-inspired Grilled Harissa Chicken is sweet, spicy and smokey. It's paired with a creamy, garlicky Lemon Tahini Sauce to bring the dish together and add a little extra flavour.
It's a weekday, you're tired and you're looking for something quick but delicious to eat for dinner.
In comes harissa chicken.
It's naturally gluten and dairy-free and doesn't require any marination time. Just coat the chicken in harissa paste, garlic, onions, spices and lemon juice, cook it, mix up the sauce and you're done. It couldn't be easier!
Where can I find harissa paste?
I used rose harissa paste by Belazu in this recipe, which I highly recommend. The rose in here adds a floral fragrance and slight sweetness to the chicken, which compliments all the spices beautifully. If you're in the UK, you should be able to find this particular brand in most mainstream supermarkets.
You can of course use harissa paste without the rose, which you'll be able to find in supermarkets wherever you are in the world.
Harissa is usually available in different levels of spice, so choose one that meets your preference. We only do spicy in my house!
Cooking the chicken
You can cook the chicken on an outdoor grill, an indoor griddle or in a skillet over a medium-high heat. I used organic chicken thighs for this recipe.
How to serve
I served the chicken with the Lemon Tahini Sauce and purple and yellow cauliflower (we're all about eating that rainbow), but you can serve it with cous cous, vegetables of your choice, salad or even warm pita bread.
Grilled Harissa Chicken with a Lemon Tahini Sauce (GF, DF)
Yields: 4 chicken thighs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
For the harissa chicken:
4 skinless organic chicken thighs
2 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of half a large lemon
3 heaped tbsp rose harissa paste
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red chilli powder (optional)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 red onion, sliced thinly
For the lemon tahini sauce:
4 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp lukewarm water
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon
Pinch of salt
Olive oil to drizzle on top
Red chilli powder to garnish (optional)
1. Pat the chicken thighs dry and season with a little salt and pepper.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix, then add in the chicken thighs and coat well.
3. Lightly grease a grill or griddle with olive oil and preheat over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until completely cooked through.
4. For the lemon tahini sauce, mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl, apart from the olive oil and chilli powder.
5. Divide the sauce across serving plates, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of chilli powder. Place cooked chicken thighs on top and serve immediately.
I hope you love this recipe!