Healthy Homemade Snickers Bars (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
A healthy take on the famous Snickers bar that we all know and love. These homemade chunks of heaven are gluten-free, vegan, contain no added sugar AND actually taste like the real deal (I promise)!
I don't think I could be any more pleased with how these snickers bars turned out! They were one of my favourite chocolate bars growing up but since cutting lactose out from my diet, I haven't been able to treat myself to one in YEARS.
Anyway, I had a sudden craving for them last week so I made it my mission to come up with a gluten and dairy-free version that's also healthy. They contain clean, simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen and are sweetened using dates only!
Making them completely refined sugar-free
If you want to make the bars completely refined sugar-free, you can use 100% dark chocolate and melt it with some maple syrup (this is what I did), or you can use dark chocolate that has been sweetened with coconut sugar.
So what's actually in the snickers bars?
Well, they're made up of 3 layers, just like the original...
The first layer is a creamy nougat layer made from full-fat coconut milk, gluten-free oat flour and peanut butter. You can also add in a scoop of collagen for added protein.
The second layer is made from dates that have been soaked in hot water for 10-15 minutes, giving them the taste and texture of caramel when blended.
The third layer consists of roasted halved peanuts that are sprinkled all over. They can be salted or unsalted - your choice.
These layers are all moulded together, dunked in dark chocolate and topped with flaked sea salt. You can then place them in the fridge or freezer.
Bonus tip: placing the bars in the freezer means they also double up as ice cream! I highly recommend storing half in the fridge and the other half in the freezer!
If healthier alternatives to your favourite chocolate treats are your thing, why not try my Healthy Hazelnut Truffles?
Healthier Homemade Snickers Bars (Gluten-free, Vegan)
Makes: 12 bars
Prep time: 2o minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
For the nougat layer:
300g full-fat coconut milk (solid parts only)
100g smooth peanut butter
40g gluten-free oat flour
For the caramel layer:
280g pitted medjool dates, soaked in hot water for 10-15 minutes
For the peanut layer:
75g roasted peanut halves
300g dark chocolate
Flaked sea salt (optional)
1. Line an "8x8" baking dish with parchment paper.
2. To a large bowl, add in the coconut milk, peanut butter and oat flour and mix until creamy and well combined.
3. Pour the mixture into the baking dish, use a spatula to spread it evenly and then place in the freezer for 20 minutes, until solid.
4. While the nougat is freezing, make a start on the caramel layer. Place the soaked dates in a food processor and blend until smooth and sticky.
5. Remove the nougat layer from the freezer and spread the caramel evenly on top until the nougat is completely covered. Sprinkle over the peanuts, pressing them into the caramel layer just slightly.
6. Place the dish back into the freezer to chill for at least 1 hour.
7. Just before you remove the dish from the freezer, heat the chocolate in a double boiler. Transfer to a wide bowl and let cool for 3-5 minutes.
8. Whilst waiting for the chocolate to cool, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
9. Remove the snickers from the freezer and slice into 12 equal-sized bars.
10. Using two forks, gently take one bar and dip it in the chocolate, ensuring it is completely coated. Place onto the baking tray and repeat this process with the remaining bars. Use any leftover chocolate to drizzle on top of the bars.
11. Place bars in the fridge for 30 minutes, or freeze and consume as ice cream!
I hope you love this recipe!